I’m always disappointed by sangria. It's either made with cheap wine and it shows, or it's made with nice wine that would honestly taste better on its own. This drink, however, is what I've always wanted sangria to taste like.
- 2 oz medium bodied red wine
- 1½ oz apple brandy or applejack
- ½ oz sloe gin (or Plymouth gin in a pinch)
- ¼ oz real maple syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- garnish: Green apple slice, cinnamon and/or nutmeg
Stir ingredients with plenty of ice. Strain into a coupe or brandy snifter.
Slice a very thin wedge of green apple. Sprinkle one side with grated cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Gently float the apple atop the drink, with the spices on the top.